Copy & Paste This Code:

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Domestic Goddess

This week started off with me feeling domestic goddess-like. After a long week at training followed by a weekend filled with a bridal shower and trip to North Carolina, I decided to take Monday off to catch-up from my travels. While Chris went to work, I stayed home, slept in, unpacked, cleaned, and did some grocery shopping. Then I made dinner: chicken and cheese enchiladas with Mexican rice and for dessert: Reese’s peanut butter-chocolate pie (I don’t actually know what its called and change the name every time I mention it).

IMG_0347

Since Chris’s birthday is on Friday, I wanted to do something special to kick off his “birthday week,” hence why I made dessert with dinner (not a usual thing in our household). You see, birthdays are a big thing in our family and we often joke about “birthday weeks” and even “birthday months.” Chris has said before birthdays aren’t that big of a deal to him but I definitely want to celebrate this special day/week with him!

Tuesday I went back to work (unfortunately) and had yet another home-cooked dinner in mind. I made garlic lime pork chops with sweet corn on the cob and brussels sprouts. I have never cooked nor eaten brussels sprouts before last night and I must say they are quite yummy! I had a bag of frozen ones and after consulting with a friend, I decided to boil them in water to defrost them, then drained and simmered them in a little olive oil, salt and pepper. I started feeling a little creative (and worrisome that they were going to be yucky) so I added some Montreal Steak Seasoning which I swear tastes good on everything! I’ve used it on asparagus before and had confidence they would turn out good and they did. Since we had pie leftover from Monday night, I decided to hold off on making another new dessert. 

Today, Chris has a flag football game followed by the championship game, if they win, so it’s the perfect night for leftovers. I am continuing the birthday week celebration though and making Oreo truffles and maybe some sort of peanut butter cookies.

I have really enjoyed cooking (and baking) this week and definitely would like to do more of this throughout the week going forward. Usually I end up making a big dinner on Sunday night and we eat leftovers throughout the week and sometimes I will make something new in the middle of the week or we’ll go out to eat. When I was in busy season, I only had time to cook a Sunday night dinner, a tradition we started when we first started dating, and would eat dinner at the office every night and bring home any leftovers for Chris. Now I’m trying to figure out some sort of normal-ish routine and would definitely love to have cooking and eating dinner with my sweetie (most nights) a part of it. Even though its only been two nights, I have really looked forward to eating dinner together, at the table, no tv and no cell phone and talking about our days and would like to continue this at least a couple times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment