Or lack thereof. I need to get into a semi-normal weekly routine again. I had a decent one going a few weeks back and it went straight in the pooper once the 4th of July rolled around. Now I’ve been using every excuse in the book to avoid working out and being my usual productive and mostly healthy self.
This week, I have the following excuses:
1. I am working out at a client site rather than my usual cubicle downtown in our office. The commute isn’t drastically longer but it does involve some pretty bad traffic, no matter what time I leave. Also, it’s a pretty busy time for the client and I’m working longer hours than usual, not to mention the work itself is pretty challenging. I worked an 11 hour day today (yuck) and my brain feels like mush. Hence, I have no motivation to do anything that involves using my brain in anyway but sit on the couch (and write my blog).
2. Chris is out of town in delightful Dalton, GA (a town I imagine worse than Quincy or Bainbridge for all you southern GA/northern FL readers) which means I am on poochie patrol. And they are a handful sometimes! Most of my workouts consist of a Jillian Michaels DVD, my floor and a couple of hand weights. Since Mags isn’t quite house-trained yet, I don’t trust him to wonder around the house unsupervised (he’s already destroyed one remote, half destroyed another, and tried to get ahold of a third the other night). Mags is also a huge cuddler, so any time I am on the floor that automatically means I have a lap for him to climb in to. This is not exactly ideal while doing bicycle crunches. I tried working out in his presence once and it ended in me calling Chris in frustration, interrupting his golf game, to beg him to come home so I could workout.
3. My ever-growing to-do list. I am a big fan of the to-do list. I make them all the time and for everything. I love lists, in general. I always have one in the grocery store, at my desk at work, and on my fridge at home. I may not always cross every single thing off them, but I will write them nonetheless. This week’s list seems to be growing much faster than it is shrinking. Its full of things with no particular deadline (such as organize my closet, apply for my CPA license, and mail a package to Ashley and Chris’s mom) but knowing I have other things to do provides me with a justification for not working out.
It also doesn’t help that I am one of those people who follows the silly notion that everything must start on a Sunday (or at the beginning of the week). So if I miss a workout on Sunday, I’m doomed for the rest of the week and will usually tell myself I will be better next week, no sense in trying to jumpstart a good routine on a Tuesday! Stupid and idiotic I know, but that’s just the way it is.
Hopefully next week will be semi-normal (or as normal as my life ever is) and I can find the fitspiration to workout at least 4 times during the week (and continue this routine going forward). The eating healthy thing isn’t my biggest struggle. I actually have been doing a really good job of that so far this week. I also want to attempt the no junk food challenge (which I found on Pinterest, naturally). It consists of no chocolate, no candy, no biscuits or cookies, no cake, donuts, or muffins; no pastries; no white bread; no chips; no fast food; no Nutella, peanut butter, or other naughty spreads; and no ice cream for 21 days. I tried to institute this challenge on July 1 for the entire month but then of course I became weak when the 4th came around and I was off work for almost a week between the holiday and weekend which meant I had more free time and many more (unhealthy) options at my disposal. Next time, I may focus more on the desserts side of thing since that is usually my biggest weakness.
Now I’m off to take the poochies on a walk (that counts as exercise, right?)!
No comments:
Post a Comment