Copy & Paste This Code:

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Meet Mags!

 

photo (5)

Mags, or rather Magnum (like the gun as Chris likes to say or like the ice cream bar as I like to say) is our new dog! Chris and I adopted him from the Atlanta Humane Society 3 weeks ago today. As far as we know, he is a mix of shepherd, lab, and possibly a little bit of pit bull (from what the vet told us) and he is three years old. When we first saw him, Chris fell in love and I was apprehensive. To be honest, I thought he looked too mean and rough. Turns out, he’s a big bag of love! He is the sweetest, cuddliest dog! He loves to snuggle with me and tries to curl up in my lap, despite weighing in at 55 pounds.

Chris already has a beagle, Shelby, who is 7 years old and typically doesn’t play well with other dogs. Mostly in the sense that she is a snob and would much rather get attention from humans. She is also pretty overweight (Chris and I affectionately call her “Fat Shelbs” like Fat Albert). We’ve talked for a while about getting a second dog to keep Shelby company and also to help her behavior. From everyone we’ve talked to with two dogs we’ve heard that having a second dog actually improves the behavior of the first. And you see, Shelby is a sweetheart but when she gets mad at Chris, she doesn’t always remember that she is house-trained.

So we found ourselves at the humane society one Saturday afternoon, not knowing exactly what we were looking for and saying that we weren’t going to go home with anything that day. And we didn’t. We actually saw another dog we talked about getting. It was a three legged dog that Chris really wanted to give a good home to. We went home Saturday without a dog, but talked about that three legged dog all night and even did some research about the special care it would need. We went back to the humane society on Sunday to find that the three legged dog had already been adopted. We were a little sad, but also happy that the dog had found a home. So we looked around a bit more and that’s how we found Mags. After playing with him outside, we left to pick up Shelby to have a “meet and greet” with Mags, and they got along pretty well, surprisingly. Since bringing him home, they have become besties and spend most of their time playing tug-a-war with their toys and sunbathing in the back yard.

photo (3)photo (4)

You’ll have to excuse the quality of the photos – they are from Chris’s phone. I haven’t had a chance to get any better ones.

Chris and I are really happy about our decision and love this new addition to our family!

PS – As I am typing this, this is what everyone is up to on this Sunday evening:

photo (6)

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment