I love to read! Always have and probably always will. I mainly read fictional books but will generally read anything that is either recommended by someone I know, written by an author I’ve already read and love, or is making such a splash in the media that I have to see what all the fuss is about. I used to be so diligent about reading every night before I went to bed rather than watching TV. While working on my masters, studying for the CPA exam, and going through busy seasons at work, I got out of that routine. But I made it one of my New Year’s resolutions to read more and cut back on how much TV I watch (or at least watch right before bed).
So far this summer, I have finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. I started the first one way back in January or February and was interrupted mid-book to let Chris read it. I didn’t mind because I had another girly book I knew he wouldn’t want to read and work was starting to pick up. Despite him being in the middle of his horrendous busy season, he finished the whole trilogy within a month’s time and was on to the Hunger Games trilogy, which he also finished in record time. Since the movie was coming out and our friends, Travis and Heather, had read the books and wanted to see it, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was once again put on the back burner so I could read the Hunger Games before seeing the movie. The Hunger Games was so good, I couldn’t not immediately start the second and third books after finishing the previous one, despite being in the middle of another trilogy. Needless to say, it took me up until July to FINALLY finish the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. Don’t get me wrong, I highly recommend the series. Especially if you love murder mysteries! There is nothing bad about the writing (although the third book took a little while to get going), I just think I lost as much interest since I had all the interruptions and it took me so long to read them all.
During the time it took me to finish the last book of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, my “to read” list began to grow:
1. “Wish You Were Here” by Jen Lancaster
Let me start by saying how much I LOVE Jen Lancaster! She is a hilarious, witty, and lovable writer! I have read all of her books up to this point, which have all been memoirs. I didn’t realize before opening this book that it was not a memoir, but rather her first fiction book. I was a little disappointed in the sense that I was looking forward to reading a non-fiction book but I’m loving it so far!
2. “Jen-eration X” by Jen Lancaster
Yes, yes. Another Jen Lancaster book. Somehow I got really behind on her books and didn’t realize she had published so many since her last one.
3. The “50 Shades of Grey” trilogy
This is one of those series that I feel I MUST read since there is such a big fuss about it. Anna has also read them and totally loved them. However, I might hold off on diving back in to another trilogy for now…
4. “Water for Elephants” by Sara Gruen
I have been wanting to read this book for quite some time now. Its one of the many books I bought for Chris and I to read which he of course tore through very quickly. He liked it so much he demanded we watch the movie once he finished. I am usually opposed to watching a movie first if its based on a book I know I want to read because once I see the movie, I’ll either lose steam for reading the book since I know how it will end or won’t enjoy the book as much. I gave in and the movie was pretty good! Hopefully since we watched it so long ago and I have so many other books to keep me busy in the meantime, I will still read it.
5. “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” by Jonathan Safran Foer
Travis and Heather saw this movie and recommended it, as long as we didn’t mind balling our eyes out. Then while picking up some books to keep us entertained on our flight to Cali, I decided why not read it first? Of course, Chris finished it on the flight home and said the organization of the writing was too weird for his taste.
6. “Decision Points” by George W. Bush
Now before you go judging me, hear me out: I’ve never been a huge W fan, but I have heard his book is actually pretty good and enlightening about how things really went down during his presidency. It was recommended to me by one of my bosses and I trust her and value her opinion, so I am very interested in reading it.
7. “Have a Little Faith” by Mitch Albom
This book is a true story and was voted the “Best Nonfiction Book of 2009” by Oprah.com. And who doesn’t love Oprah? I’m not quite sure what its about and its another book I bought for our Cali vacation more so because its nonfiction and I thought it would be good to mix in some of those every now and then.
8. “Tuesdays with Morrie” by Mitch Albom
I have no idea what its about, but I feel like its one of those books you just have to read at some point in your life.
9. “The Millionaire Next Door” by William Danko and Thomas Stanley
Chris just read this book and totally recommended it to me (mostly because he thinks I have a shopping problem. I have no idea where he got that notion…). Apparently its all about ways to cut your spending and make your money grow based on the methods used by most successful millionaires over the past several years. It has gotten Chris all worked up about not spending money and cutting expenses where ever he can now (thanks Danko and Stanley, not sure I needed that). I think it would be useful to read just to see what they have to say and try to apply those same techniques on a much smaller scale to my money management habits. I’m not bad with money, I’m actually pretty good. I just tend to get distracted by shiny shoes, pretty handbags, and new outfits!
I’ve got a lot of reading in my future! What’s on your summer reading list?
No comments:
Post a Comment